Preposterous-Looking Life Hacks That Actually Get The Job Done
Every day we face a million irritating dilemmas. Some of them are easily brushed off, but others can feel like a total hassle. So what if we told you it’s actually not that hard to make life just a little bit easier?
These DIY hacks make all those daily tricky tasks so easy to complete that you’ll feel foolish for not thinking of them earlier. So stop wasting time, and start putting these hacks to good use so you can finally get through your to-do list without suffering countless irritations!
1. You don’t need to wear goggles when cutting onions. Nobody likes to be caught all teary-eyed, but chewing some gum (which makes you breathe out of your mouth) while you slice may keep the waterworks at bay.
2. Pumps, ballerinas, flats, loafers, oxfords, and — oh goodness — gym sneakers can smell quite bad once they’ve been worn a few times (especially without socks). To “air them out,” place your shoes in the freezer and smell the bacteria disappear!
3. That feeling when you’re trying to figure out what the dark green, fluffy food you bought was… and realizing it used to be sour cream. If you wish to make your cupped dairy products last longer, turn them upside down in the fridge. This will seal it completely.
4. Do you often find yourself in a knot? Is your life getting more and more entangled? Free yourself with a bit of cornstarch! Sprinkle it on any sort of rope-based knot and undo it with ease. WARNING: this will not work with electronics.
5. Even with the perfect chef’s knife, it’s hard to cut a perfectly even slice of cheese. Try a piece of dental floss (make sure it’s unflavored — nobody likes minty cheese) and pull it right through the block. It has never been this easy to cut the cheese!
6. We have all done it: accidentally thrown a lovely wool sweater into the dryer only to have it come out looking like it belongs to Tinkerbell. Don’t lose hope! Fill a sink with cool water and add 2 tbsp of baby shampoo. This will relax the fibers enough for reshaping.
7. Sure, professional spot treatments are the best remedy to get rid of a zit, but they’re expensive and not everyone keeps them stocked in their bathroom. Instead, just apply a dab of toothpaste, and it’ll dry it right out.
8. You can start a fire using just about anything, but when you’re in the middle of nowhere with nothing but snacks, Doritos will do the trick. Of course, just about any chip will do, but you will still need a match and something to spark the fire.
9. A mouth ulcer or canker sore is a painful open sore inside the mouth caused by a break in the mucous membrane. Placing a TUM or another calcium-rich antacid onto the ulcer will reduce pain and inflammation, making it heal much faster
10. Normally you think of WD-40 as the substance you spray onto the door so it stops squeaking. However, it also helps remove crayon from all kinds of surfaces.